Sunday 3 November 2013

Why We Should Expose Narcissists




Malignant narcissism is a dark subject. And blogging about it is intense.


It takes going to an uncomfortable place to find my rage. It requires mental and emotional face time with bad memories. And in the case of this blogger, it's requires embracing my own darkness: my unadulterated hatred of what passes as human. If this seems extreme to you then you've probably never stared into the dead eyes of a smirking malignant narcissist.

Blogging about narcissism and the more malignant variety isn't just about the writing. It's also about the reading. The interacting. It's about the environment where we are "free" to express our truth. And it's about maintaining that freedom by keeping watch over our environment and fighting for our convictions. It's a battle in the real and online world.

Hey Narcs, you stop lying about me and I'll stop telling the TRUTH about you.

The bull-shit never ends.

I'm not done exposing them... doubt I ever will be. I can't just switch my bull-shit detector to "off." It doesn't work that way. It's not about  "healing" or "recovering" from N abuse and then becoming complaisant. Now wouldn't the narcissists love that? For all of us to miraculously "heal" from their atrocities - Hallelujah! - and fade away into the background. That must mean you're "well", right? When you are no longer outraged by injustice.

As long as there is a personality disordered abuser or some other unspecified fuckhead getting all up in my grill in real life or online, I will challenge them. It's the narcissist’s nature to harm others and it's my nature to go after bullies. My desire to speak the truth, my truth, will remain long after I stop blogging. It's my passion.

I tell you this because I am damn sick and tired of people labeling truthful blogs, vulnerability, authenticity and righteous anger as a sign of weakness or being "stuck", or not "healed" or not "recovering" or "playing the victim" or being "vengeful" ... blah de blah blah. Does it ever occur to this pinhead that maybe some people are natural fighters, truth tellers and supporters and that’s why they're writing about this stuff? Does it ever occur to these scaredy cats that these bloggers and commenters are brave? Airing so-called "dirty laundry" is about exposing the nuances of abuse. It's about participating in a dialogue and keeping the information on narcissists alive and out there? Does it ever occur to these "silencers" that the movement to expose the pathologicals among us is bigger than the sum of its parts? When people march in a rally are they doing it just for themselves? No. They're doing it for the cause, the greater good. I know all of this sounds idealistic. But frankly, I don't know where the hell I would be if it weren't for the brave souls who first took to the net to carve the way. A difference is being made. For me, blogging on this subject is about activism.

You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. So what's the solution? So much exposure that being able to spot a narcissist and run like hell before they bite becomes second nature to all. And if you can't run before they harm you, you expose their sorry ass because it's the societal "norm" to do so. I look forward to the day when emotional abuse is considered a crime punishable by law.
 

20 comments:

  1. I am thrilled! Just yesterday I tried to see if your blog was available and sadly it was not. I have missed reading and re-reading your posts. I wanted to go back to the beginning and go through them again. Now I know what I'm reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, thank you for checking-in! It's great to hear that you will be reading my blog again. I hope to get some new posts up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisette, I am so happy your back you made my day. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Henry, right back atcha! Thanks for touching base.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray! I've never commented before but just want to say how pleased and relieved I am you are back, your blog helped me so much when I first started to realise how fucked up my family are. You are an inspiration and thank you very much for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alice, thank you for your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very happy your blog is back up and you're posting again. I had downloaded most of your posts before the site went down and they are the most informative and helpful of any internet stuff available I've read on narcissism. I read them daily. Thanks so much. You're an inspirational writer and I hope you think about writing a book on this it would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vince, thank-you for the kind words. I'm not sure if you're being ironic by telling me that you downloaded most of my posts on a post where I complain about content thieves LOL. In any event, I am very happy you find the material informative and helpful. I'm all for people using it as a reference tool. I just get a little irked by those who use it to generate attention to their sites without properly crediting me and my blog. Anyway, I've take measures to protect myself so I'll be less skittish about publishing online. And... I'm saving all the good stuff for the book ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Just for my own use! See, I need to be reminded daily of what I'm dealing with so I don't start doubting myself when dealing with narcissists on a daily basis. And I come into contact with a lot. And most 'good' people I meet are unaware of narcissism and they don't want to hear about it anyway. They're out living with the fairies and it scares 'em. The only support and reassurance I get that I'm not paranoid and crazy is from reading blogs like yours. Thanks so much.

      Delete
    2. When I first came to terms with all this NPD stuff, and was recovering from some major narc abuse related trauma, I carried around articles written by ACoNs and read and re-read them to keep on reminding myself it's not me, it's THEM. I still need to be reminded of what I'm dealing with. It's good to know my blog helps you.

      Delete
  9. I am so amazed at the wonderful work on your blog! I'm a reader of "The Narcissist's Child' and I've heard a bit about your blog from there, but never got to access it as it was on private. I decided to try again today for some reason and I'm so glad you opened it again!

    I'm definitely going to read every post you have created once I have time. It's just wonderful seeing the justice, passion, knowledge and such shining through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucinda, welcome. I was on hiatus for a few months that's why my blog was set to private. Sometimes the intensity of the subject matter flares-up my anxiety and I need to take a breather. The doors are now open so come on in and have a good read.

    Thanks for the positive feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am delighted to see that you're back Lisette! I regularly check if your blog is up and I'm glad it is. I totally understand your need to take a breather to recharge your batteries. I will be avidly reading your brilliant posts. .
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Susan. Yes, I took a breather and then had to deal with real life MN stuff (dying father). Sigh. I guess it gave me more to write about ... I'm still trying to recharge those batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are back! I have had many people write to me and ask about your absence (your blog is on my list of recommended reading)...do you mind if I post a short entry on my blog announcing your return? Many of my readers will be please to know!

    Hugs,

    Violet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SV, I wouldn't mind at all. Thank-you.

      Delete
    2. Done! "Some of you have asked me if I knew what happened to Lisette and her blog, House of Mirrors. Well, apparently she has been on hiatus, but now she is back! If you want an energetic, no-holds-barred look at narcissism through the eyes of another narcissist's daughter, I highly recommend clicking the link [I put the link in the blog title] above and having a good, long, entertaining read! "

      Delete
  14. Lissette: I am so happy that you are back. If you recall I am the autistic woman with breast cancer with an autistic son who has other issues. Since last readingf your blog, because of all of your help, I am in the process of helping to put together a community of autistis in an already existing community. Many autists were raised in malignant households. I doubt that if it were not for you, I could be doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, yes, I remember you. I'm glad you found your way back to HOM. That's great you're putting a community of autistis together. Keep up the good work.

      Delete